Sunday, January 23, 2011

Apple and almond cake

That was a while ago! I'll just pick up where I left off, get straight to it. Because it's not as though I haven't been cooking, au contraire. This morning I even went a bit overboard: two cakes and a Middle Eastern lamb stew.
I'll share with you first the sweet. This cake is a bit juicy, it has apples in it, and nuts. Lovely combinations. The top caramelizes a bit, creating a nice crunch.



Apple and almond cake


125 g butter from the fridge
150 g selfraising flour
150 g caster sugar (NL: fijne kristal suiker)
40 g almonds with the skin on, chopped
40 g almond flakes
2 small apples, core removed, unpeeled and cut in cubes
1 large egg, whisked separately

* preheat the oven to 180 C
* place the butter and flour in a kitchen machine and mix until it looks like crumbs
* transfer to a large bowl and stir in the sugar, nuts and apple
* stir the egg into the mixture
* make sure you only stir enough to mix all the ingredients: don't stir too much
* place the mixture in a cake tin
* bake for around one hour
* let it cool in the tin

The recipe was inspired by Liz Franklin's Bread and Cake. She used pecan nuts instead of almonds, which sounds just as delicious. I think you can use any nuts you have at hand.

Serve the cake as dessert or with a cup of coffee.

1 comment:

  1. This last is one great dish. see it add me die la diamond whip I promise you that I've never reviewed a restaurant on Yelp, fought with someone on YouTube, re-Tweeted a pic of a hot chic with her mammary glands busting out the seams, shared a link or anything of the sort, I'm simply too lazy or I don't care enough. BUT, after finding myself on your page whenever I have free time and eagerly awaiting a new blog posting I feel compelled to breakout of my digital laziness just to say thank you. I appreciate the wealth of information that you're sharing, in fact the Sniper community appreciates it. Whether it's a blog entry or a comment you post on McCarterBrown, you always bring a sense of knowledge and know-how to the table. As a new Sniper I can always count on having my various questions answered simply by digging through the archives of your blog and for that I thank you. Should we ever meet on the field you can count on me for a free beer and a chicken sandwich with waffle fries... Thanks bro! Friv kogama

    ReplyDelete